Children’s Book Week is almost here … August 22nd – 26th
Book Week is coming, and the theme for this year is Australia: Story Country. What a fantastic opportunity for us to celebrate this wonderful country and our stories.
We are currently planning some fun activities to happen at school – and we thought families might like to embrace the theme at home – so watch this space for ideas.
#1 Gather your stories …
The art of Storytelling has been around since humans first gathered around a campfire. Stories can teach us a lesson, make us think about the world in a different way, or just entertain us.
Encourage your children to gather stories …
- Talk to family members and neighbours and discover their stories.
- Ask older family and friends to share stories about their lives.
- Tell a story from your life … growing up in … when I went to …
- Does your family have any legendary ‘tall tales’ (you know … the ones that cause the rest of the family to roll their eyes!)? If so, let your children in on the fun.
- Get out your family photo albums and talk through them.
- Share stories of their early childhood.
- The children could use a recording or book-creating app to record the stories they want to keep.
- You could gather your family’s stories together and make them into a book to share as a Christmas gift.
Enjoy sharing your stories … and feel free to share them with us in the Library – we love to hear a ‘good yarn’ too.
More information regarding our Book Week celebrations will be revealed over the next few weeks.
Mrs H xo